Friday, January 23, 2015

Let's Head to the Movies



Occasionally I will post a blog which is not education related. Shocking I know, but there are actually other things roaming around in my pea brain!

Amy and I love going to the movies. One of our first dates was at Vinegar Hill Theater in Charlottesville, Virginia to see “The King and I” on the big screen. For the last several years, we have enjoyed going to Oscar nominated films. Not just in the best picture category, but across the board. This became much easier once we became empty nesters. I am not a film expert and have not taken any classes, I just rest on my 50+ years of movie going. From my big brother taking me to “The Jungle Book” in the 60’s to this year’s  “American Sniper.”

So, here are my thoughts on this year’s best picture category (minus “Whiplash” which is the only movie we have yet to see). I would place two movies together in the “out there” category: “Birdman” and “The Grand Budapest Hotel.” Both were well acted (especially Michael Keaton) but storylines were a bit too wacky for me. “Boyhood” is in a category all of its own. No one has done what Richard Linklater has done before, so it is difficult to judge. To me, it was too much like real-life. I go to the movies to escape real-life, you can give me a good story like "Gone Girl" any day. We watched “Selma” on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. Loved the acting and story line and learned things I did not know about the three marches. “American Sniper” was excellent showing one man’s realization that we all have limitations, but we can in fact make profound differences in what we do. That leaves two more “bio-pics” which I found outstanding: “The Imitation Game” and “The Theory of Everything.” Both stories were engrossing and enlightening since I knew very little about Alan Turing or Stephen Hawking. These would be my two favorites.

Best performance by a lead actor goes to Michael Keaton in “Birdman.” Steve Carell was creepy-good in “Foxcatcher.” Lead actress goes to Reese Witherspoon. She gave a great performance in “Wild.” Julianne Moore’s (not one of my favorite actresses) role in “Still Alice” is heartbreakingly good. Supporting actor is close to me, but The Judge, Robert Duvall gets the nod. Best supporting actress has some really good performances like Laura Dern in "Wild," but you can’t bet against Meryl Streep.

Disappointment of the year goes to “Unbroken.” I understand this story is long and full of twists and turns and would be very difficult to make. Apparently the sound was incredible. While it was enjoyable, it did not catch the essence of the book. This goes into the great book, movie OK file. Unlike my file for “The Monuments Men” which was a great book and lousy movie. Another disappointment was the omission of “Life Itself” which is a documentary on the life of Roger Ebert. This was outstanding.  

So, here are my random thoughts. Next time, it’s back to school.

No comments:

Post a Comment